Curious about the various types of VIC driver licence classes available to learners and fully-licenced drivers? Let’s examine the different classes of licence and provide a brief overview of each.

Classes for Learner and Provisional Licences

The licensing system in Victoria is based on three tiers and follows a progression-based structure, with a total of three licences included.

  • Learner licence – To obtain a learner licence in VIC, applicants must be at least 16 years old. They must also undergo identity verification, pass an eyesight test, and take the DKT (Driver Knowledge Test), as well as pay any necessary fees. The learner licence is valid for a period of up to 5 years and allows the holder to only drive with the supervision of a fully licenced driver. After holding the licence for 10 months, the HPT (Hazard Perception Test) can be taken. Once the holder has completed 120 hours of driving, including 20 hours of night driving, they can take a driving test to apply for a provisional P1 licence.
  • Provisional P1 licence – After successfully completing the HPT, driving test, and 120 hours of driving practice, applicants can apply for a P1 licence. This licence is valid for 18 months and allows the holder to drive alone, though with restrictions on driving hours and other conditions. After holding the P1 licence for at least 12 months, the holder can progress to a P2 licence.
  • Provisional P2 licence – After holding a P1 licence for 12 months, the holder can apply for a provisional P2 licence. After holding this licence for 24 months, the holder can apply for a full driver licence. It should be noted that at this stage, the holder can also upgrade to a LR, MR, or HR heavy vehicle licence.


Difference Licences Classes

Roads and Maritime Services in VIC roads issues a variety of licence classes for fully licensed drivers, granting them the ability to operate different types of vehicles. Each class of licence requires additional competency-based assessment tests.

  • C licence – The most common type of licence is the C licence, which is for cars. This licence allows you to drive cars with a Gross Vehicle Mass of up to 4.5 tonnes, which can seat up to 12 adults including the driver. It also permits you to drive vans, utes, cars, and some light trucks, as well as certain implements like graders and tractors.
  • R licence – An R licence, also known as a rider licence, authorises you to operate vehicles such as motorcycles and motorised scooters on the VIC roads.
  • LR licence – The LR licence, or light rigid licence, enables you to drive vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Mass between 4.5-8 tonnes. The maximum weight for towed trailers is 9 tonnes. You may also drive vehicles that can hold more than 12 adults including the driver.
  • MR licence – MR, or medium rigid licence, allows you to drive rigid vehicles with 2 axles and a Gross Vehicle Mass of more than 8 tonnes. Towing trailers weighing more than 9 tonnes is not permitted.
  • HR licence – HR or heavy rigid licence, permit you to drive vehicles with 3 or more axles and a Gross Vehicle Mass of more than 8 tonnes. Towing trailers exceeding 9 tonnes is not allowed. This category includes articulated buses.
  • HC licence – HC or Heavy combination licence, allow you to drive articulated vehicles with more than 3 axles. You can tow trailer combinations weighing more than 9 tonnes.
  • MC licence – Also known as Multi combination licence, authorise you to operate any vehicle such as a b-double truck and road train.


Choose the Appropriate Licence for Your Needs!

Many individuals typically obtain a C licence. However, depending on the type of vehicles one wishes to operate, any of the aforementioned licence categories may be suitable. It is important to thoroughly comprehend each category before making a decision in order to select the appropriate licence for one’s requirements.

Become a Confident Driver on VIC roads

For those looking to improve their driving abilities through a review course or to become a confident driver, consider booking VIC road driving lessons with the Vikas driving school in Melbourne. They also provide the Safer Drivers Course, which not only aids in refining driving skills, but also adds 20 hours to the logbook for learner drivers. To begin, make an online reservation or call +61 451 456 666.